Do you have a question, comment, or problem? Here's how you can contact me.

E-Mail: ruth.ackiv@gmail.com

Looking for Something?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sin...Songs and Some Scripture

Sin is something that makes everyone have something in common. I grew up hearing sin is bad, but the truth is we are sin. You must murder yourself if you want to live. Sin is a big deal, it's something that you will notice one day when your flesh is burning hell if you don't notice now.
And now on a lighter note, I like music, but what teen doesn't? Music is written by a band, but interpreted by the listener. What you have been through in life effects how you hear music. With that being said, I'm going to interpret two songs based on my life.
I'd recommend listening to this youtube video unless you've already heard "It's not me, it's you" by skillet.
First of all, there's defining this song. It could be taken for a song to someone whose hurt you, or to Satan, but I think it's a song to yourself...your sinful nature. A songs meaning can change based on what's happening to you at the moment. This song has for me.

For when we were controlled by the sinful nature, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies, so that we bore fruit for death.
Romans 7:5
Sin is a poison, once we drink it, it wears our body down and it finally drives us to insanity.

Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation--but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.
Romans 8:12-14
WeAsHuman's message is more clear than Skillets in song. It's clearly says that when we stop sinning is when we feel the most alive. It says to let go of sin, so that you can be free. "Sitting here by my graveside, I've never been so alive" Because Jesus took me out of the picture.

Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 
John 8:34-16

God pulls the dead man out of us.

For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin--because anyone who has died has been freed from sin. Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God. In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
Romans 6:6-11

This is a concept that is hard to understand, and that I don't fully get, but when we die to ourselves, that's when we feel most alive.  "Sitting here by my graveside, I've never been so alive. You pulled the dead man out of me."

But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead. Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death. For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death.
Romans 7:8-11

But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness.
Romans 8:10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Locations of Site Visitors