Do you have a question, comment, or problem? Here's how you can contact me.

E-Mail: ruth.ackiv@gmail.com

Looking for Something?

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Keeping yourself Interested

When I read the bible, I don't always feel like it. Satan doesn't want Christians to read the bible, he wants us all to fail miserably in every way, and Satan is great at fooling us. I can easily think of things I could be doing or "need" to do when I sit down and read God's word. I'm always glad I afterwards when I read my bible, but there's an internal conflict when I try to read my bible. I think it's best to find I way to keep myself interested while I read my bible so that I can feel the benefits afterwards. For a while I would always find one verse that stuck out to me while I was reading the bible, but that's hard to do when your reading 1st and 2nd Samuel (which I recently finished) and 1st Kings (which I just started). Yesterday, I had the wonderful idea of making a modern bible, where I take I read and write down as if it where being said in modern times. It's really fun!
Here's the first 4 verses of 1 kings 2 (my version). What you are about to read is NOT God-breathed scripture.
  1. David’s death was coming around, so he gave his position to Solomon
  2. "I am going to follow through with the ways of the world," he said. "Make sure you are strong and show everyone that you're a man.
  3. Look at what God tell us to do: follow his ways, and listen to his laws and guideline, his  rules and requirements, like it’s been written in Moses' decrees, so y'all will be prosperous in every way possible.
  4. So that God will carry out what he said he'd do a bit back: 'If your kids are careful about how they act, and they’re faithful with everything they've got in them, you’ll always have a dude on the throne.'
And the same verse in the NIV bible
  1. When the time drew near for David to die, he gave a charge to Solomon his son.
  2. "I am about to go the way of all the earth," he said. "So be strong, show yourself a man,
  3. and observe what the LORD your God requires: Walk in his ways, and keep his decrees and commands, his laws and requirements, as written in the Law of Moses, so that you may prosper in all you do and wherever you go,
  4. and that the LORD may keep his promise to me: 'If your descendants watch how they live, and if they walk faithfully before me with all their heart and soul, you will never fail to have a man on the throne of Israel.'
There's this one little kids songs that describes life. "read your bible and pray every day and you'll grow, grow, grow...don't read your bible, forget to pray and you'll shrink, shrink, shrink..."
You know yourself...maybe you find it easy to read your bible, or maybe your need a little thing that will help you read your bible. Whatever you do, make sure your reading your bible, so you can grow...and take a stand for Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Locations of Site Visitors