Do you have a question, comment, or problem? Here's how you can contact me.

E-Mail: ruth.ackiv@gmail.com

Looking for Something?

Saturday, May 25, 2013

A Free Heart

I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I have set my heart on your laws. I hold fast to your statutes, LORD; do not let me be put to shame. I run in the path of your commands, for you have broadened my understanding. Teach me, LORD, the way of your decrees, that I may follow it to the end. Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law and obey it with all my heart. Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight. Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain. Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word. Fulfill your promise to your servant, so that you may be feared. Take away the disgrace I dread, for your laws are good.
Psalm 119:30-39

As a Christian, God sets our heart free from sin, distractions, and anything we put above God. The only reason we can obey God is because he frees us.
Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word.
This author is talking about anything we have above God. Since this author is talking about something bad. I get this idea because it's something that this person wants remove. Of course, it doesn't need to be bad, it could be something that gets in his way and the author feels he would be better off without this worthless thing. And by reading the earlier verses "Teach me, LORD, the way of your decrees, that I may follow it to the end. Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law and obey it with all my heart." This guy has already said he wants to follow God's rules. I think it makes sense to think that he's talking about something bad, or something that's not bad in itself, but it was getting in his way of worshiping God. 
I run in the path of your commands, for you have broadened my understanding...Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law and obey it with all my heart.
God sets our heart free. Our heart is imprisoned by sin and guilt, but God sets us free from that. Even before before God sent Jesus to die for us, he still gave people the option of having a free heart. God wants you to have a free heart too.
Fulfill your promise to your servant, so that you may be feared. Take away the disgrace I dread, for your laws are good.
This author fears disgrace. He wants promises fulfilled and God to be feared. He says that God's laws are good. Every last one of them. I think the author of the song wants to make sure there is nothing between him and God. No fear, no sin. The author wants to make sure he's doing what's right.
Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law and obey it with all my heart.
The song writer wants understanding, as we all should. If you ask for understanding or wisdom, God will give it to you (James 1:5). So if you lack wisdom, then ask God for it. That is one thing God will give you.

Blessed are those who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart—they do no wrong but follow his ways...Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying your decrees! Then I would not be put to shame when I consider all your commands. I will praise you with an upright heart as I learn your righteous laws. I will obey your decrees; do not utterly forsake me. How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
Psalm 199:2-3;5-11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Locations of Site Visitors