Do you have a question, comment, or problem? Here's how you can contact me.

E-Mail: ruth.ackiv@gmail.com

Looking for Something?

Thursday, December 13, 2012

2 Peter: Introduction (Part 1)

Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours: Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. 
2 Peter 1:1-2

2nd Peter is 3 chapters long. It may be short, but it's a good book. 

I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to meAnd I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things.
2 Peter 1:13-15

These three verse tell a LOT about why Peter wrote this book, to
  1. Remind people
  2. Because he knew he would die soon
  3. So that they would remember
So Peter was giving his last words in the form of a letter. 
And I don't doubt they were his last words to them. Peter died a martyr hanging upside down because he would not die the way Jesus had.
Peter's letter may have been a reminder to the people back in Peter's day, but it is also a reminder to us in 2012.

Sources:
http://preceptaustin.org/2_peter_commentaries_2.htm
http://preceptaustin.org/maclaren_on_2_peter.htm#lpf

Photo Credit:
http://www.aug.edu/augusta/iconography/staMariaPopolo/peterDeathCaravaggio.html

Next Post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Locations of Site Visitors