Do you have a question, comment, or problem? Here's how you can contact me.

E-Mail: ruth.ackiv@gmail.com

Looking for Something?

Friday, September 7, 2012

David and his Lament

David took up this lament concerning Saul and his son Jonathan, and ordered that the men of Judah be taught this lament of the bow (it is written in the Book of Jashar): "Your glory, O Israel, lies slain on your heights. How the mighty have fallen! Saul and Jonathan--in life they were loved and gracious, and in death they were not parted. They were swifter than eagles, they were stronger than lions.
2 Samuel 1:17-19; 22-23

I know I said last post I'd be doing a blog post on Kindness and Goodness, but I really don't care. I read 1 Samuel 1 yesterday in my quiet time, devotional, or what you want to call it. Verse 23 really stood out to me. I encourage you to read through all of 2 Samuel 1, but I you need to look at the beginning of the 23rd verse one  more time. Saul and Jonathan--in life they were loved and gracious. Perhaps your not so familair with you bible. If so, then that fine...but if you read through 1 Samuel, you'll see that Saul tries to kill David, and he's very blunt about it...He doesn't go into stealth mode, but simply attempts to kill him several times and is quite clear about it. His son Jonathan was kind to David til the end and deserved a lament, but I'll be honest...if someone tries to kill me, they aren't going to be called gracious in my little song about them. That's just me being honest.
David refused to kill Saul twice when he could have (he cut off a portion of Saul's clothing), but David refused to kill God's anointed.
I just am amazed that David had so much strength and courage. If I was David, the Saul would have been murdered in his sleep. But anyway, Saul was anything but gracious. He refused to give up search for the anointed king of Israel. And in his hatred for David, he went to a witch and told her to bring up the spirit of Samuel (who was dead at this point).
David sure has a good heart (even though his actions were sometimes less than good).
-Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Locations of Site Visitors