Do you have a question, comment, or problem? Here's how you can contact me.

E-Mail: ruth.ackiv@gmail.com

Looking for Something?

Monday, July 16, 2012

Trees: The Olive

When the dove returned to him in the evening, there in its beak was a freshly plucked olive leaf! Then Noah knew that the water had receded from the earth.
Genesis 8:11

The olive tree represents new life. Both after the flood and after we become a christian. In Romans, Paul says that went we are wild olive branches and God grafts us in to his tree when we become a christian.

Jesus Jewish Carpenter, Grafting
If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, do not boast over those branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. You will say then, "Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in." Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid. For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.
Romans 11:17-21

They also brought spices and olive oil for the light and for the anointing oil and for the fragrant incense.
Exodus 35:28
The manna was like coriander seed and looked like resin. The people went around gathering it, and then ground it in a handmill or crushed it in a mortar. They cooked it in a pot or made it into cakes. And it tasted like something made with olive oil.
Numbers 11:7-8
He will be like a vine stripped of its unripe grapes, like an olive tree shedding its blossoms.
Job 15:33
his young shoots will grow. His splendor will be like an olive tree, his fragrance like a cedar of Lebanon.
Hosea 14:6
"Many times I struck your gardens and vineyards...Locusts devoured your fig and olive trees, yet you have not returned to me," declares the LORD.
Amos 4:9
Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior.
Habakkuk 3:17-18
Then I asked the angel, "What are these two olive trees on the right and the left of the lampstand?" 
Again I asked him, "What are these two olive branches beside the two gold pipes that pour out golden oil?"
He replied, "Do you not know what these are?" "No, my lord," I said.
So he said, "These are the two who are anointed to serve the Lord of all the earth."
Zechariah 4:11


And I will give power to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth. "These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth.
Revelation 11:4

2 comments:

  1. That's a lot of verses on olive trees! I think it is amazing how God uses everything He made to show us his love. The olive tree is such a beautiful tree, just like how life in Christ is a beautiful but perplexing thing. Thanks for doing this series! :)

    -Kaycee

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is less than half the verses on the olive tree. For a reasonable post length, I cut out a lot of olive tree verses.
    And those are some great point that I had not though of.
    Thanks for commenting, and I'm glad you enjoyed my series!
    - Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Locations of Site Visitors